Honoring the past and safeguarding the future of Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument through science, conservation, and education.
Honor the land. Learn its lessons.
This vision serves as our roadmap for the future and provides the strategic framework for our programs and initiatives.
Expanding knowledge and understanding of the natural wonders, biodiversity, and unique ecosystems with which this landscape is endowed by participating in scientific inquiry and historical investigation, as well as advocating for the inclusion of Indigenous knowledge in land management decision-making.
Ensuring Grand Staircase-Escalante’s culture, ecology, history, recreation, and science are recognized, sustained, and enhanced. Work on the ground with organizations, government agencies, and volunteers to repair and restore the Escalante River watershed, as well as prevent and mitigate damage at cultural and ecological sites.
Providing in-person and virtual learning environments in which people can engage with Monument topics, and practice critical thinking, as well as exchange ideas, and learn from one another, thereby fostering the connection and understanding needed to support the Monument’s long term well-being and respect ancestral lands.
- Wonder. Grand Staircase is a place unlike anywhere in the world. We seek to inspire curiosity and learning through our work.
- Preservation. The rich cultural, geologic, historic, and biological wonders of the Monument must be preserved for posterity.
- Passion. Our shared appreciation and love for this place propels all that we do.
- Partnership. Our mission is only possible through collaboration.
- Science. Science belongs at the heart of Monument management and conservation, including Indigenous science and Traditional Ecological Knowledge.
- Community. As the only conservation organization headquartered in Monument communities, our programs strive to benefit local residents.
- Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion. We are committed to making the Monument a place that is respected as the ancestral home of the Indigenous communities who have been here since time immemorial. We are also committed to ensuring that the Monument is a place where all people feel welcome and all perspectives are respected.
How to get involved.
- Become a Business Member
- More coming soon.